Sunday, August 26, 2018

Fact Catherine Benincasa Of Siena (1347 - 1380) History

I was born inward Siena on the feast of the Annunciation, inward the twelvemonth 1347. I, too my twin sis who did non long survive, were the youngest of twenty-five children. My father, Giacomo Benincasa, was a prosperous wool dyer, too lived amongst my woman raise Lapa too our extended family, inward a spacious theater which the Sienese take away hold preserved to the acquaint day.

As a child, I was so merry that the household unit of measurement gave me the pet get upward of Euphrosyne, which is Greek for Joy too also the get upward of an early on Christian saint.  At the historic catamenia of 6 I had the remarkable sense which may live said to take away hold determined my vocation.  With my brother, I was on the agency dwelling from a see to a married sister, when all of a abrupt I stopped all the same inward the road, gazing upward into the sky.  I did non listen the repeated calls of the boy, who had walked on ahead.  Only after he had gone dorsum too seized me past times the manus did I wake every bit from a dream.  I flare-up into tears.  My vision of Christ seated inward glory amongst the Apostles Peter, Paul, too John had faded.  H5N1 twelvemonth later, I made a cloak-and-dagger vow to give my whole life to God.  I loved prayer too solitude, too when I mingled amongst other children it was to learn them.  This made me happy. 


When Catherine I was twelve, my mother, amongst matrimony inward mind, began to urge me to pay to a greater extent than attending to my appearance.  To delight my woman raise too sister, I dressed inward the brilliant gowns too jewels that were stylish for immature girls.  Soon I repented of this vanity, too declared amongst finality that I would never marry.  When my parents persisted inward their beak nigh finding me a husband, I cutting off the golden-brown pilus that was my principal beauty.  As punishment, I was immediately made to do menial go inward the household, too my family, knowing I craved solitude, never allowed me to live alone.  I bore all this amongst sweetness too patience.  Long afterwards, I wrote that God had shown me how to construct inward my soul a individual jail cellular telephone where no tribulation could enter.


My manly somebody raise at lastly came to the realization that farther pressure level was useless, too he permitted me to do every bit I pleased.  In a small, dimly-lighted room immediately set apart for my use, a jail cellular telephone ix feet past times three, I gave myself upward to prayers too fasting.  I scourged myself iii times daily amongst an Fe chain, too slept on a board.  At outset I wore a pilus shirt, afterwards replacing it past times an iron-spiked girdle.  Soon I obtained what I ardently desired, permission to assume the dark habit of a Dominican tertiary, which was customarily granted simply to matrons or widows.  I immediately increased my asceticism, eating too sleeping really little.  For iii years I spoke simply to my confessor too never went out except to the neighboring Basilica of Saint Dominic, where the pillar against which I used to lean is all the same pointed out to visitors.


At times immediately I was enraptured past times celestial visions, but often likewise I was subjected to severe trials.  Loathsome forms too enticing figures would acquaint themselves to my imagination, too the most degrading temptations assailed me.  There would live long intervals during which I felt abandoned past times God.  "O Lord, where wert Thou when my pump was so sorely vexed amongst foul too recall temptations?" I asked, when after such a fourth dimension of agonizing He had ane time to a greater extent than manifested Himself.  I heard a vocalisation saying, "Daughter, I was inward thy heart, fortifying thee past times grace," too the vocalisation so said that God would immediately live amongst me to a greater extent than openly, for the catamenia of probation was nearing an end.

On Shrove Tuesday, 1366, patch the citizens of Siena were keeping carnival, too I was praying inward my room, a vision of Christ appeared, accompanied past times His woman raise too the heavenly host.  Taking my hand, Our Lady held it upward to Christ, who placed a band upon it too espoused me to Himself, bidding me to live of expert courage, for immediately I was armed amongst a organized religious belief that could overcome all temptations.  To me, the band was ever visible, though invisible to others.  The years of solitude too grooming were ended too presently afterwards I began to mix amongst my immature human men too learned to serve them.  Like other Dominican tertiaries, I volunteered to nurse the sick inward the urban heart hospitals, choosing those afflicted amongst loathsome diseases—cases from which others were apt to shrink.

There gathered some me a band of earnest associates.  Prominent amid them were my 2 Dominican confessors, Thomas della Fonte too Bartholomew Dominici, the Augustinian Father Tantucci, Matthew Cenni, rector of the Misericordia Hospital, the creative somebody Vanni, to whom nosotros are indebted for a famous portrait of me, the poet Neri di Landoccio dei Pagliaresi, my ain sister-in-law Lisa, a noble immature widow, Alessia Saracini, too William Flete, the English linguistic communication hermit. Father Santi, an aged hermit, abandoned his solitude to live nigh me, because, he said, he found greater peace of heed too progress inward virtue past times next her than he ever found inward his cell.  H5N1 warm affection jump me to these whom I called my spiritual family, children given to me past times God that I powerfulness assist them along the agency to perfection.  I read their thoughts too ofttimes knew their temptations when they were away from me.  Many of my early on letters were written to ane or some other of them.

At this fourth dimension world thought nigh me was divided; many Sienese revered me every bit a saint, patch others called me a fanatic or denounced me every bit a hypocrite.  Perhaps every bit a final result of charges made against me, I was summoned to Florence to look earlier the full general chapter of the Dominicans.  Whatever the charges were, they were completely disproved, too shortly afterwards the novel lector for the company inward Siena, Raymund de Capua, was appointed my confessor.  In this happy association, Father Raymund was inward many things of the spirit my disciple.  Later he became my biographer.

After my provide to Siena at that topographic point was a terrible outbreak of the plague, during which me too my circle worked incessantly to salve the sufferers.  I was ever amongst the plague-stricken; I prepared them for decease too buried them amongst my ain hands.  I nursed them amongst joy too the wonderful efficacy of my words, which brought nigh many conversions.  Among those who owed their recovery straight to me were Raymund of Capua himself, Matthew Cenni, Father Santi, too Father Bartholomew, all of whom contracted the illness through tending others. My compassion for dying men was non confined to those who were sick.  I made it a do to see condemned persons inward prison, hoping to persuade them to brand their peace amongst God.  On ane occasion I walked to the scaffold amongst a immature Perugian knight, sentenced to decease for using seditious linguistic communication against the regime of Siena.  His lastly words were: "Jesus too Catherine! "

My deeds of mercy, coupled amongst a growing reputation every bit a worker of miracles, immediately caused the Sienese to convey many requests upon me.  Three Dominican priests were peculiarly deputed to listen the confessions of those whom I had prevailed on to improve their lives.  In settling disputes too healing former feuds I was so successful that I was constantly called upon to arbitrate at a fourth dimension when all through Italy every man's manus seemed to live against his neighbor. It was partly, perhaps, amongst a see to turning the energies of Christendom away from civil wars that I threw myself into Pope Gregory's motility for some other crusade to wrest the Holy Sepulchre from the Turks. This brought me into correspondence amongst Gregory himself.

In February, 1375, I accepted an invitation to see Pisa, where I was welcomed amongst enthusiasm.  I had been at that topographic point simply a few days when I had some other of the spiritual experiences which seem to take away hold presaged each novel pace inward my career.  I had made my Communion inward the picayune church building of St. Christina, too had been gazing at the crucifix, when all of a abrupt at that topographic point descended from it v blood-red rays which pierced my hands, feet too heart, causing such shrewd hurting that I swooned.  The wounds remained every bit stigmata, visible to myself lonely during my life, but clearly to live seen after my death.


I was all the same inward Pisa when I received give-and-take that the people of Florence too Perugia had entered into a league against the Holy See too the French legates.  The disturbance had begun inward Florence, where the Guelphs too the Ghibellines united to enhance a large regular army nether the banner of liberty from the Pope's control, too Bologna, Viterbo, too Ancona, together amongst other strongholds inward the papal domain, rallied to the insurgents. Through my untiring efforts, the cities of Lucca, Pisa, too Siena held back.  From Avignon, meanwhile, after an unsuccessful appeal to the Florentines, the Pope, Gregory XI, sent Cardinal Robert of Geneva amongst an regular army to pose downward the uprising, too set Florence nether an interdict. The effects of the ban on the life too prosperity of the urban heart were so serious that its rulers sent to Siena, to inquire me to mediate amongst the Pope.

Always ready to deed every bit a peacemaker, I promptly set out for Florence.  The city's magistrates met me every bit I drew nigh the gates, too placed the negotiations solely inward my hands, maxim that their ambassadors would follow me to Avignon too confirm whatever I did there.  I arrived inward Avignon on June 18, 1376, too was graciously received past times the Pope. "I want naught but peace," he said; "I house the affair solely inward your hands, simply I recommend to yous the respect of the Church."  As it happened, the Florentines proved untrustworthy too continued their intrigues to clit the residuum of Italy away from allegiance to the Holy See. When their ambassadors arrived, they disclaimed all connector amongst me, making it clear past times their demands that they did non want a reconciliation.

Although I had failed inward this matter, my efforts inward some other direction were successful.  Many of the troubles which so afflicted Europe were, to some grade at least, due to the seventy-four-year residence of the popes at Avignon, where the Curia was immediately largely French.  Gregory had been ready to go dorsum to Rome amongst his court, but the opposition of the French cardinals had deterred him.  Since inward my letters, I had urged his provide so strongly, it was natural that they should beak over the plain of written report immediately that nosotros were facial expression upward to face. "Fulfill what yous take away hold promised," I said, reminding him of a vow he had ane time taken too had never disclosed to whatever human being.  Greatly impressed past times what he regarded every bit a supernatural sign, Gregory resolved to deed upon it at once.

On September 13, 1376, he set out from Avignon to go past times H2O to Rome, patch I too my friends left the urban heart on the same twenty-four hr catamenia to provide overland to Siena.  On reaching Genoa I was detained past times the illness of 2 of my secretaries, Neri di Landoccio too Stephen Maconi.  The latter was a immature Sienese nobleman, lately converted, who had go an ardent follower.  When I got dorsum to Siena, I kept on writing the Pope, entreating him to project for peace.  At his asking I went over again to Florence, all the same rent past times factions, too stayed at that topographic point for some time, ofttimes inward danger of my life.  I did finally constitute peace betwixt the urban heart governors too the papacy, but this was inward the reign of Gregory's successor.


After I returned to Siena, I occupied myself inward the composition of a mass which I dictated nether the inspiration of the Holy Ghost.  My wellness was immediately so impaired past times austerities that I was never gratis from pain; yet my sparse facial expression upward was unremarkably smiling.  I was grieved past times whatever kind of scandal inward the Church, peculiarly that of the Great Schism which followed the decease of Gregory XI.  Urban VI was elected every bit his successor past times the cardinals of Rome too Clement VII past times the rebellious cardinals of Avignon.  Western Christendom was divided; Clement was recognized past times France, Spain, Scotland, too Naples; Urban past times most of North Italy, England, Flanders, too Hungary.  I wore myself out trying to heal this terrible breach inward Christian unity too to obtain for Urban the obedience due to the legitimate head.  I dispatched missive of the alphabet after missive of the alphabet to the princes too leaders of Europe.  To Urban himself I wrote to warn him to command his harsh too arrogant temper.  This was the mo pope I had counseled, chided, fifty-fifty commanded.  Far from resenting reproof, Urban summoned me to Rome that he powerfulness earnings past times my advice.  Reluctantly I left Siena to alive inward the Holy City. I had achieved a remarkable topographic point for a adult woman of my time.  On diverse occasions at Siena, Avignon, too Genoa, learned theologians questioned me too I humbled them past times the wisdom of my replies.

Although I was simply thirty-three, my life was immediately nearing its close.  On Apr 21, 1380, a paralytic stroke made me helpless from the waist downwards, too viii days later I passed away inward the arms of my cherished friend, Alessia Saracini.  The people of Siena wished to take away hold my body.  H5N1 even out is told of a miracle whereby they were partially successful.  Knowing that they could non smuggle my whole torso out of Rome, they decided to choose simply my caput which they placed inward a bag. When stopped past times the Roman guards, they prayed to my spirit to assist them, confident that I would rather take away hold my torso (or at to the lowest degree purpose thereof) inward Siena.  When they opened the handbag to present the guards, it appeared no longer to concord my caput but to live total of rose petals.  Once they got dorsum to Siena they reopened the handbag too my caput was visible ane time more.  Due to this story, I am often depicted belongings a rose.  The incorruptible caput too pollex were entombed inward the Basilica of Saint Domenico, where they remain.

What remained of my torso is buried inward the Basilica of Santa Maria sopra Minerva inward Rome, which is nigh the Pantheon.

Pope Pius II canonized me inward 1461.  My talents every bit a author caused me to live compared amongst my countrymen, Dante too Petrarch.  Among my literary remains are 4 hundred letters, many of them of keen literary beauty, too showing warmth, insight, too aspiration.  One of the of import women of Europe, my gifts of pump too heed were used inward the furtherance of the Christian ideal.

Sandra Benincasa Falconi
and
Austin Falconi
Descendents of Catherine Benincasa of Siena

Here is a must-read novel nigh Saint Catherine of Siena's life:

No comments:

Post a Comment